Monday, January 04, 2010

Excuse Me, But Is The Freezer in Room 30?

For those of you who pay attention to things like weather (I am an admitted Weather Channel fan as well as a fan of the National Weather Service) most of the country has been under a real deep freeze since the weekend.

My Beloved South is no exception. It was 11 degrees on Saturday morning, 10 on Sunday, and today back up to 11. We haven't been higher than the mid 20's since the weekend, and it doesn't look like we'll be hitting freezing at 32 degrees until next week sometime.

Now for those of you who live Up North and are laughing hysterically over these balmy temperatures, please note that I was living in Ohio in 1994 (if I remember correctly) when we had the Coldest Day in Ohio History. I don't remember what the temperature was because I was knocked over when I saw on the news that morning that we had a wind chill of -71 degrees. Yes, that is MINUS 71 degrees. I kid you not. Needless to say the car didn't start that day.

Anyhow.

Seeing as how cold it has been I mentioned to the Hubby yesterday that I hoped that someone was going in and turning the heat on in The Building because it was going to be really, really cold in there when we showed up on Monday morning if they didn't. The District had turned off all the heat in all the facilities (cost savings, dontcha know it?) and as luck would have it, we ended up with the coldest temperatures of the season.

Believing in being well-prepared, I wore multiple layers, wool socks, heavy down jacket (dug out of the "haven't worn since we moved to the South closet"), wool mittens, and was prepared for a rather chilly building. Thank goodness I did this.

The newer part of the building where the eighth grade classrooms are, for the most part, was just fine. The older part of the building, where the seventh grade and sixth grade classes are, was cold. My room was one of the warmest (and I usually hate it because it's so hot in there most mornings) and even then I was wearing my jacket most of the day. The rooms we did our workshops in were all chilly.

But nothing prepared me for Mrs. Eagle's team area.

It was so cold in their area that you could feel the cold air blast you in the face as you turned the corner. So cold, in fact, that if you didn't know any better you would have thought all the teachers had their outside doors propped open. They didn't. It was just amazingly cold. Mrs. Eagle was so cold she couldn't work in her room (even with her outside gear on) and she ended up in my room most of the day. It felt like a walk in restaurant freezer. I'm surprised her fish tank didn't have ice floating in it.

A work order was issued and somehow someone is supposed to come fix whatever is going on with the heat system that it no longer is working like it should (and it was replaced only a few years ago so it should work).

Any guesses on whether or not it will be working when the kids arrive tomorrow?

2 comments:

Dragonrider said...

Don't you love it when the loudspeaker announces: "Teachers, students, keep your coats on, the heating system isn't working but it will be fixed in a few days." Yep, actually happened.

ChiTown Girl said...

Yeah, that's pretty much what I walked into this morning myself. Thankfully, I had the foresight to bring a jacket today.