Saturday, June 09, 2007

Retro Tosies and Hangin' at the Beach

In case you haven't noticed, I've been out of town a bit, visiting Momma Bird out here in Southern California.

For the record, I hate her keyboard as the space bar likes to stick..she, however, feels it isn't a problem as "I don't type as fast as you do."

It's been nice. The weather, amazingly, has been absolutely perfect. It's not too hot, and down by the beaches, it wasn't overcast. I grew up along the beach here, and trust me, June can be darn chilly and gray. They have a marine layer that hangs along the coast for hours, making tourists wonder just what in the hell made them think a vacation to California in June was going to be warm and sunny. They don't call it the "June Gloom" for nothing. Lucky me, the June Gloom wasn't in evidence today.

So a few days ago I mention that I didn't have time to get a hair cut before I flew out here, and mom mentions that she needs a pedicure, so hey, why not do a girls day at the beauty shop??! Great idea, so she makes an appointment for me to get my hair done and both of us to get pedicures.

This beauty shop rocks.

For one thing, it's owned by these incredibly tall red-headed sisters, and it's in an older building down on the main drag of the town mom lives in. These gals are funny and have a certain sense of retro style that's evident as soon as you walk into their shop. For one thing, when they're giving people manicures, they both wear what we used to call "cat's eye" glasses, all glitzed out with beads and jewels and things. The shop itself is all pink and aqua with 45 rpm records lining the walls, old radios on shelves, and display cases with 1950's beauty supplies in them. You get the feeling these gals are running a beauty shop combined with an antique store or a museum. It's a hoot! Everyone in there apparently knows everyone and they're all chatting and laughing and having a great time getting their nails done, their hair colored, and their tosies polished.

If I could find a fun, retro beauty shop like this near me, I'd be there in a heartbeat.

My toes, by the way, look fabulous in my sandals. Considering that I wear sandles most of the year, I may have to get in the habit of getting pedicures.

Today Momma Bird and I head out to the beach to meet two of my college friends for lunch on the pier. Alas, we are getting older, with more silver hair than there should be. However, we had a great time, ate some great food, and enjoyed the waves and the sun and a generally lovely day. Amazing how you can not see each other for nearly 12 years but pick up like nothing has happened.

Tomorrow we're going to the Del Mar Fair...I am leaving my diet at the door.

4 comments:

The Science Goddess said...

Enjoy your summer holiday! Rest and recharge.

I wanted to send you a note and let you know that I have moved my blog to http://whatitslikeontheinside.com, if you'd like to update your blogroll...or just stop by and say "Howdy!" :)

EHT said...

I'm glad you are getting to travel some even if you are taking on some of the characteristics of your students (your observation from your last post).

The day of beauty sounds great and the so do the gals. Reminds me of the movie Steel Magnolias......guess you experienced the western version.

CaliforniaTeacherGuy said...

Well, isn't this sweet? For a while, at least, you and I are "neighbors." Welcome to the neighborhood!

HappyChyck said...

Oh that sounds so wonderful! Beauty shop, beach...so relaxing. And one cannot underestimate the beauty of a good beauty shop. How fun!