Friday, June 29, 2007

Rain at Last!

It's finally, finally, finally starting to rain here. According to the U.S. Drought Monitor, we're still in an extreme drought, but it's getting better. We're getting afternoon thunderstorms most days, and this morning it's already booming and pouring. Our area is still ten inches short, in terms of rainfall, but we'll take what we can get. Hopefully it will keep raining so that the morons and their fireworks don't burn down entire neighborhoods beginning July 1st, when you can legally set off fireworks here in town.

Granted, some of these thunderstorms are more of a tease than anything. The sky gets black, the thunder rumbles and then.....nothing. It blows right through.

I actually mowed the lawn yesterday, for the first time in three or four weeks. It's been so long since we mowed, we can't even remember when we last did it. The weeds, not the grass, were getting really tall so I decided it had to be done. It annoys me that the grass barely grows but every variety of pasture weed (most of which I am apparently allergic to according to my recent scratch test) will grow like no body's business.

I actually enjoy mowing to a certain extent, although with my allergies I usually pay for it later that night and the next day. However, I wore a mask, took a supplemental allergy pill, used my new nose spray and I'm actually allergy free this morning - amazing. Wearing that dorky mask probably did more good than anything.

1 comment:

NYC Educator said...

Congats on the rain.

I hate mowing the lawn, gardening, and any outdoor work. Bugs adore me for some reason, but I don't much care for them.

I take Nasonex for hay fever, and it really works very well. Consider trying it if you haven't already.