Monday, April 28, 2008

Tag! I'm it! (According to Mr. Teacher)

Mr. Teacher, a math teacher in Texas who teaches - shudder - elementary math, tagged me for a meme...and since I happen to have the utmost respect for anyone who deals with elementary students (namely because my few years of subbing convinced me that I can't), I'll be a good sport and play the game.

Here's the rules:


1. The rules of the game get posted at the beginning.
2. Each player answers the questions about themselves.
3. At the end of the post, the player then tags 5-6 people and posts their names, then goes to their blogs and leaves them a comment, letting them know they've been tagged and asking them to read your blog.
4. Let the person who tagged you know when you've posted your answer.



So let the fun begin!!



1) What was I doing 10 years ago?

I was living in Ohio, working in a dead-in job in a manufacturing company where the only way you got promoted was if members of your family were on the payroll a hundred years ago when the company was founded. I saw the writing on the wall (and could spot poor management a mile away and knew trouble when I saw it) so I chucked it all, took out a fortune in student loans and went back to school to become a teacher. I already had my BS in business so it only took another two and a half years to get that taken care of.

2) What are 5 things on my to-do list for today (not in any particular order):



1. Help hubby with a PowerPoint presentation he needs to present this week. Please note he has never made a PowerPoint before in his life. What's that about old dogs and new tricks?


2. Knit a bit on the lace sock I'm working on. Or the sweater. Or the lace wrap. Or something.


3. Watch the Stanley Cup playoffs. I love this time of year.


4.Make lunches for both Mr. Bluebird and I.


5.Read a bit more in Sense and Sensibility and Stiff. I never read just one book at a time.



3) Snacks I enjoy:


Ice cream, almost any type of nut, dark chocolate, chips and salsa. However, since I've managed to lose about 25 lbs this year I'll have to stick with a small amount of nuts and fat free popcorn.

4) Things I would do if I were a billionaire:


1. Stop worrying about money forever.


2.Build a hockey rink so kids in my town have one to skate on and don't have to drive over an hour.


3.Buy a winery.


4. Give a lot of money to historical preservation organizations and the State Museum.

5) Three of my bad habits:



1. Snacking when I'm not really hungry.


2. Being really, really sarcastic.


3. Being very impatient with adults (but for some reason, not with kids).



6) 5 places I have lived:



1. Denver, Colorado


2. Torrance, California


3. Diamond Bar, California


4. Celina, Ohio


5. Clarksville, TN



7) 5 jobs I have had:



1.Worked in a donut shop.


2.Executive secretary for a national car rental agency.


3.Property manager for a marina and apartment complex.


4.Substitute teacher.


5.Middle School science teacher.



8) 6 peeps I wanna know more about:

1. Mrs. Cornelius - she's written some posts that left me in tears and others that absolutely left me laughing so hard I could scarcely breathe. There was one a few years ago where she mentioned parents enrolling their kids and using the UPS store as an address that nearly killed me. She also has good taste in music.

2. Leesa has some of the most interesting things to write about and I love her dogs. I also like her use of technology. I think she and I could drink margaritas and have a great time together.

3. Missteacha is another teacher I enjoy (egads, her cheer saga nearly gave me hives) and I'm fascinated with folks that teach in urban schools. It's a different world.

4. Mrs. T. just rocks. I get antsy when she doesn't post for a while and love hearing about what it's like teaching a foreign language. I can't wait to hear about Spain.


5. NYCeducator just amazes me. I can't begin to imagine what it must be like to teach not only in an urban area, but in THE urban area of NYC. Again, it's a different world, and he always opens my eyes to things I've never encountered or thought of.

6. Darren is the sort of guy I'd love to have over for a beer and a BBQ, knowing full well that he, Mr. Bluebird and I would just have a ball talking politics and education and who knows what else. He rocks.

That's it folks! Enjoy

6 comments:

NYC Educator said...

Thanks very much for the kind words, Mrs. B. I'm gonna have to think on that for a few days, though.

Mr. W said...

Diamond Bar?!?!? what a small world. I teach at Walnut High School. You were right up the hill from us. Did you teach @ DB?

leesepea said...

Posted!

:)

Princess Lionhead said...

Just for fun, I filled out the Tag stuff too!! Come take a look!

Mrs. T said...

Ok, I'm on it! Thanks for the shout-out!

Darren said...

How did I *not* comment on this before now?

Anyway, I'm up for that barbecue--might you have *root* beer, tho? :-)

BTW, I'm serious about that barbecue....