Friday, April 18, 2008

Shake, Rattle and Roll!

Holy Crap.

4:36 am and I am awakened, as usual, by the feline alarm clocks known as Morgan and Duke. A couple of seconds later we have an earthquake.

An earthquake! In Tennessee!!

I grew up and spent 30 years in Los Angeles, so believe me, I know earthquakes. And this was definitely an earthquake.

And although I know the New Madrid fault is nearby, the last thing I was expecting this morning was a quake.

There's a teachable moment in here somewhere. Time to whip out one of my favorite books, "A Crack In the Edge of the World" by Simon Winchester, and toss today's lesson out the door and pull one together on quakes.

Gosh, I hate earthquakes, but I love teachable moments.

5 comments:

Amy said...

Ahhh, yes. Awakened we were in Louisville!! Very interesting morning, right? How did the new lesson go?

Miss Sub said...

The last earthquake I was in, my statistics professor took the moment to teach us it's every man for himself! He ran out of the building without saying a word to us!!

This is not the post to ask really, but I'm going to be placed for my student teaching soon and I'm teetering between 5th grade and middle school science. What made you choose the older critters?

Dan Edwards said...

Maybe nature is ready to rumble again there in middle America. Be prepared.

Mrs. T said...

We felt it up here in Iowa, too. I thought it was my cats jumping off my dresser, but when I opened my eyes, no cats were to be found.
You forgot to add "Full Moon" to your list. Good lord, no wonder they were crazy!

"Ms. Cornelius" said...

We felt that one too, and all I can say is, thank God we're not in Nevada right now. They've had one of those at least every day for the last week.

And 4:30 when you're a)awake, and b) freaked out and doubting yourself is NOT good. I didn't get back to sleep, and that made a looooonnnnggg day.