Thursday, September 22, 2011

When Technology Can Rear its Ugly Head...

The District Technology Department had guys running around the building the other day changing IP addresses on printers (during classes of course).  The idea being that we're dividing our network into two - one side for the kids to use and one side for the teachers to use.

The good news is that this means we won't be blocked by the filters any time we want to play a YouTube video about photosynthesis.  So no more monkeying around trying to download and save a video so I can use it in class - yeah! There's some other good news involved, but honestly, I was so tickled about the YouTube thing that I really didn't care.

I'm not sure what the printers had to do with this, but the idea was that as soon as the kids opened up the labtops in the mobile labs and signed on, it would automatically direct to the printer and the new IP address.

Except it didn't work.

During the day we're finishing up a writing prompt.

Which means no one could print their paper.

Which meant they had to save it to their desktop and then either email it to me via epals (which most of them don't know how to use) or send it to me via Edmodo (which we all practiced on Monday.)

Except most of them didn't bother to write down what their Edmodo usernames and passwords were.

Which made for a very chaotic day.

Maybe I should just have them write the darn things out in pencil.

3 comments:

HappyChyck said...

Bah! This post cracked me up. Day in the life...it's always something.

We're using Edmodo this year, too. So far I haven't assigned or collected anything, as I've only used it as a place to post assignments and answer student questions. A few of my colleagues are collecting assignments from it, though, and it seems to be going well. Takes time...

Summers School said...

Next time, have them write in something like google docs, or set up a single dropbox account where all the students save their work when they're done. No individual passwords, and you still get all of the stuff!

Mrs. Gumby said...

Yes, I centainly understand about the technology snafu. I'm working with a second grade teacher on a science writing project about worms. She set up a Glogster account and thought everything was fine. Unfortunately, there's a problem with Adobe on the school's computers. The district tech guy has been in several times, but he still hasn't figured out how to solve the problem. My colleague is frustrated because we can't finish the project. Arrggghhh!