Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Happy Dance!

Our state test scores came in over the weekend, and our principal had mentioned in some of our staff meetings that they were outstanding. So outstanding that she said tears were rolling down her cheeks as she went through each subject and grade. Of course, after we heard that we were all on pins and needles wondering just how well we did. Today was a work day (no kids) and we found out.

Oh my gosh. I am astounded, amazed, and just flabbergasted. Our kids just ROCKED! I was particularly interested in seeing how the 7th grade science scores came out because the three of us that teach this subject do a lot of collaboration - more so than any other group of teachers at the school. We've just found that it's easy to work together than to beat your head against the wall on your own. The seventh grade science scores were through the roof! And we hit every single subgroup - the low kids, the middle kids, and the high kids!! WHOOO-HOOOO!!!

Now, to keep this in perspective....I do not teach at a wealthy school. I teach at a designated low income school, with over 50% of my kids on free and reduced lunch. A lot of our kids live in poverty. A lot live in single parent homes with a parent who is working two or three jobs just to keep a roof over their heads and has no time to help with homework. Many have parents who do not work. Some have family members in jail. Many of my kids do not come from homes where education is valued, where reading is fun, where there is hope for the future. Yet, as teachers, we apparently did something right this past year because they LEARNED. And maybe, just maybe, they'll be able to rise about their challenges and have a successful future.

I am soooo proud of my kids.

2 comments:

Yellow rose said...

Way to go!!! We haven't done so well here in my hometown, but then the Texas standards just went up again last year.

Mrs. Bluebird said...

Thanks...I'm just bursting with pride over what my kids accomplished...and now wondering, "how do we top this??" What I really want to see is how we compared to the other schools in the district!