Saturday, September 10, 2016

Kicking and Screaming

So one of my three readers asked me how I liked ISS and if I thought I'd go back to the regular classroom anytime soon.

Let me put it this way....we have a an opening, still, for a seventh grade science teacher.  It is currently being filled by substitutes because we cannot find anyone who is either qualified or who wants the job (I am so not kidding here).

I live in absolute fear that they will want me to go back to teaching seventh grade science and leave our Happy Little Portable.

So far, I don't think that's going to happen because I've got ISS running like a well-oiled machine and I'm actually pretty good at what I do.  And not everyone has the temperament to put up with the kids that tear apart other people's classrooms.  But still, a little part of me is praying every night that they find a teacher for that position and they never ask me to leave ISS.

I got into teaching to work with kids, and it's a lot easier to do that when there aren't 35 of them trying to get your attention.,  And when you're stuck with them for an entire day (or two, or three, or...).  And I do good with the kids that are less than perfect.  Not sure why that is, but maybe it's because I'm a bit of a snarky bitch and I have a pretty infantile sense of humor.

Regardless.  I love ISS.  I don't want to leave.  It's a great gig.  Sure, there are things that can be annoying.  Like teachers who don't send work, kids who don't get with my program, and air conditioners that don't work, but I also don't have to grade papers or do lesson plans.

Let's face it, I get to hang out with some pretty entertaining kids all day long.  And that's kinda fun.

So if they ask me to go back to seventh grade science, I will, because I'm a good soldier.  But believe me, I'll be kicking and screaming when I do.


2 comments:

melon54 said...

I've been reading you for awhile now, just never commented. I just retired after 30 years of teaching. I don't blame you for not wanting to leave your happy little portable. I spent the last 15 years as the Media/Tech teacher. I loved it. Since it was an area that was ungraded, I got to spend time with kids. I retired for a few reasons, one of which was my unhappiness with a new administration. I have the same snarky sense of humor. Our new principal was unhappy with my teaching style.It was fine with me cause I wasn't a fan of his style. Never mind that I had been in the same building for 15 years, was at the point where I was teaching the children of former students, and according to my co-workers was loved by our students. Oh, and nothing but glowing evaluations from my former principals. I was planning to retire anyway, but was very grateful I was able to go. Last week I helped out during lunch at my nephews school. It reminded me that I miss the kids like crazy, but nothing else.

Carmen said...

I read "Is It about the Kids..." first and wondered again how you felt. Now I have my answer, haha! I'm so glad you're happy doing ISS- I think it's a tough job that needs a certain kind of person. I hope your school is able to find a science teacher!