Saturday, June 30, 2012

Toasty?

We are here, in my Beloved South, and in particular, in The Volunteer State, suffering through some rather astonishing heat the past few days.  So just how hot is it?

Check out this link from one of the Nashville news stations about a mailbox - yes, a mailbox - that melted in the heat yesterday.

Our average temperatures for this time of year are, oh, 88-89 degrees.  It hit 109 in Nashville yesterday, and here in My Town, there were some reports of 111.  Really.

Hubby and I attended a birthday party for a delightful little two-year-old (granddaughter and daughter of some of our best friends, people we celebrate holidays with) yesterday.  The party was a cook out - at 2:00 pm, easily the hottest part of the day.  Truth be told, it wasn't too bad.  Lots of big umbrellas, one of those temporary canvas canopy things over the little kids' pool, fans, and misters.  As long as you were in the shade, with a cold beverage, and a mister, it was bearable.  The little ones didn't seem to mind as long as they were able to play in the pool.

The birthday cake, however, melted.  Even in the house.  But it still tasted wonderful.

We are also suffering through a drought.  We haven't had rain for several weeks now, the corn in the fields is starting to twist and suffer, the soybeans are limping along, and my lawn looks like it's been scorched.  The county I live in has declared a burn ban - no fireworks, no grills, no open fires, nothing, until further notice.  I'm actually good with this (although the no grill thing has Hubby in a snit), because all it takes is one moron with a firework to set our neighborhood on fire as dry as everyone's lawn is.

We are now on mandatory water restrictions.  I've never watered my lawn - it's just too big and I'm too cheap and lazy - but I do water my flowers and vegetables.  Hubby and I are doing most of our watering at night, and I'm sure the neighbors would be amused watching us water by flashlight if they weren't doing the same thing themselves!  Since I grew up in Southern California where there seems to be a perpetual water shortage, conserving water is something I do out of habit anyway, so the water restrictions at this point aren't an inconvenience for me at all.  I am a bit concerned about some of my trees as they're starting to lose leaves, and my apple tree has a huge crop of apples on it that I don't want to dry up, so I am watering those.

We've even had some brush fires in the area - but nothing like my home state of Colorado.  That is tragic beyond words.

About the only good thing in all of this is that our usual summer humidity is, well, gone.  Today, we only have 29% humidity which makes it feel a lot like out West.  Usually our humidity is up in the 80% and you feel like you're getting smacked by a wet wash cloth when you walk outside.  Granted as soon as we get rain, the humidity will most likely come roaring back, but in the meantime, it's really, really arid.

I'll have to remember this the next time we have a snow day.

3 comments:

Mrs. Widget said...

Honest suggestion. Use your "gray" water to water your vegetables. Any water leftover from your kitchen put in a bucket. Also if you wash by hand (use none grease cutting brand) the soap helps fertilize and get rid of bugs.

Mrs. Bluebird said...

Mrs. Widget, great ideas - thanks for posting. I've been doing just that for years. When I left California they were in the seventh year of a drought so many of these water saving techniques were things I grew up with and have always done - even in the years when we had floods! I just don't have enough gray water to take care of all my potted plants and veggies and trees. One thing I do like to do, especially since the hot water heater is on the other side of the house, is take big 5 gallon buckets and let the water run in there while the shower water is warming up. Astounding how much water you can get. My mom lives in North San Diego County where it's practically desert, and that's a favorite technique of hers. Of course you have to haul the buckets around but that's no big deal.

W.R. Chandler said...

If it makes you feel any better, out west in Sacramento, we are having an unusually cool summer. I'm amazed when we get over 95. When I moved to Sacto in 1998, I was amazed when it got under 100.