Friday, September 18, 2009

Ack-Ack-Ack Part Two

I thought today might be a bit better on the absences. After all, some of our kids are starting to come back and the number of kids listed as absent has been going down.

My homeroom had four out. That wasn't a surprise as two of them had parents who'd called for work as they'd be out until next week.

Third period, which is mostly, but not all, of my homeroom had four out (including one suspended for a girl fight which was quite the talk of the team the other day).

Fourth period - none. Looking good!

Fifth period - three. Not too shabby. It's my largest (and most unruly) class.

And then there was sixth period. The tardy bell rang. I walked in the door from hall duty and stopped. Looked over my shoulder at the hall. Empty. And then I counted.

One. Two. Three. Four. Five. Six. Seven. Eight.

Eight kids in the room. Eight.

That. Was. It.

The kids were all looking around, looking at each other, and then looking at me.

"Mrs. B," said Hard-Working Boy, "there's like nobody here."

Man, he wasn't kidding. This is my smallest class, but to have over half of them out? Good gracious. It was downright weird.

Except...it was kind of fun. The kids thought so ("Hey, this is cool!"). And the fact that a few of the characters who were out are the same characters who can't sit down and be quiet, made a huge difference.

The total out for the day? Twenty.

And now Mr. Bluebird has a cold. Great.

4 comments:

The Vegas Art Guy said...

I had 14 absences in two classes. And then 3 for the next three. Go figure that one out.

Dan Edwards said...

Hope you stay well. Isn't it amazing what can happen in a classroom with just a student or two absent ????

Mister Teacher said...

I've had several kids out sick in the past few days too (and a couple who have thrown up at school). Plus a lot of kids who just cough right into the air whenever they feel like it.
Add to that that our rooms are crappy, and I've felt sick for the past month -- probably just allergies -- and it doesn't bode well!

Erica Thomas said...

I've also been hit with a cold. My sixth period has had a lot of absences as well, strange. We'll see what happens next week.