Thursday, July 31, 2008

A Final Fling

I haven't posted for nearly a week because Hubster and I have been having a final fling before I head back to another year of school and he gets even busier finishing up the book he's writing. According to him, the research phase is pretty much finished and now he'll be locking himself up in the bunker (our word for the finished basement which has about 2,000 books - nearly all history books - files, a computer, and a television) and writing for the next two to three months.

In the meantime I'll be herding seventh graders.

Since he had a speaking engagement in one of my favorite places, Washington, Georgia, which included a stay in a very cool bed and breakfast, I tagged along. For most folks, wandering around looking at old buildings, historical sites, and the occasional visit to a museum isn't the height of fun, but for us, it's just about perfect.

We had a delightful time. If you like antebellum buildings, you simply must go to Washington, Georgia. It isn't too far from Atlanta, and is just a bit south of Athens (which is important if you are a Georgia Dawgs fan). It's a delightful town, with wonderful B&B's, museums, and a great walking tour. We are definitely going back.


This is Wisteria Hall, the B&B we stayed at. It is delightful. Parts of the original house date to 1795, and it has had a lot of interesting owners over the years. The rooms are lovely, the beds comfy, and the owners a delight. Stay there.


We also dropped by the Chickamauga Battlefield in Chattanooga, and went to the top of Lookout Mountain since it's been years since we've done that. Unfortunately, we'd just come through a pretty nasty thunderstorm, so the sky isn't clear and you can see the humidity in the air. Still, an amazing view.
Here's another shot from the top of Lookout Mountain. I only wish the weather had been better but these pictures do show some great clouds!

All in all, it was a lot of fun. Now summer is pretty much over for me...I'm back in my room getting it ready, and we start next week. It's been fun.

2 comments:

nbosch said...

We go back on the 11th, it will be my 25? 26? year. Why do we go back so darn early? I remember we used to go back in the 20's of August, then in was in the 16th or so...now it's the 11th!! For the first time in all my career I'm starting to think of what it will be like not to go back.

Melissa B. said...

Isn't it nice to get away before you have to start "herding?" Hey, I need to ask you--do you use a lasso on 7th-graders? Your getaway sounds delightful! BTW, Tara. R. is "guesting" for Take Another Look Thursday--please come on by and check it out!