Saturday, February 11, 2017

Hack. Cough. Blech.

So it appears that just about our entire state has the flu, strep, cold, or a stomach virus.  You know those flu maps they do on The Weather Channel?  Well, we're right smack in the middle of it.

And if that doesn't tell you something, the fact that 15 districts around us were closed part of last week due to illness should.

Notice I said "districts around us"?  We aren't closed.

That's not to say we haven't been hit and hit hard.  Although my building hasn't been hit hard with student absences, we have had a lot of faculty and staff down for the count.  From teachers, to bus drivers, to administrators, to guidance, we're hacking and coughing, and generally dropping like flies.  I was sick last week myself, but not bad enough to take a day off.  And since we're pretty much short of substitute teachers, even if I did take off, they'd most likely just shut down ISS and let the kids serve the time when I return.  It's that bad.

Some of the other buildings not only have a lot of sick staff, but the kids are out too.  Classes with ten kids are being supervised by custodians and cafeteria workers because there's no one left.  Buses are being driven by mechanics and anyone they can find.  We've had trouble with all our buses even showing up to pick up kids in the afternoon because they're so short drivers.

But we are still open.  Why?  Because we haven't - district-wide - hit the magic number of 17% absent.  Some schools may have 30% while others have 5%.  Whatever.  It's not working out to be 17% throughout the entire district.

So we are open.  Without subs.  Without bus drivers.

And we are all praying for a snow day. Or two.  Or three.

But instead it's so warm my damn tulips are already popping up.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Hi Mrs. Bluebird,

I'm always amazed when I read about the American school system. The whole issue of having school during a break due to too many snow days is still unbelievable to me. And now the really strange practice of needing an overall percentage of absent teachers in the whole district!
I hope this doesn't sound mean, but whenever I read something like this our problems here seem a lot less difficult to manage.
By the way we have to same epidemic here, after the stomach flu came the cold and regular flue. First the kids and then the teachers. Fortunately, we are "taking turns" instead of all being sick at the same time. Still stressful but it could be worse.
I hope you and your colleagues will get better very soon.

Take care
Lisa