Monday, April 23, 2012

It. Is. Here.

We start the Very Big Deal Government Mandated Testing Extravaganza tomorrow.

Oh.  Yay.


Mrs. Gumby said...

Yeah, we started our Very Big Deal State Mandated tests today. I had to administer a read-aloud version for two kids with IEP accomodations. One student was finished in a little over two and a half hours. Unfortunately, my other student worked on the test from 9:30 in the morning until 3:10 this afternoon.

I wanted to poke my eyeballs out with a sharp pencil by the end of the school day at 3:30! I can't wait for the math section of the VBDGM test on Thursday. I get to work with the same two students again. Pray for me.

W.R. Chandler said...

As I type these words, I am sitting at my desk, watching my 8th graders work on Part 1 of the Math section.

Yesterday, some of these same students asked me the million-dollar question: What will happen if I do badly on these tests?

My answer: Nothing will happen to you. The school and your teachers will be blamed.

According to my admin, I am not supposed to tell them that, but I am done lying to these students or telling them half-truths.

The biggest half-truth is telling these students how important it is that they do their best. What we have always left out is: important for whom?