Wednesday, October 26, 2011

So Much for Good Intentions

I really honestly was going to try to post ever single day this school year but obviously that isn't going to happen.  As my grandmother used to say, "I have too many irons in the fire."

Oh well.  Least I tried.

In any case, amazingly enough, when I returned to school on Monday, after leaving my kids with a sub, the stack of crap on my desk wasn't too horribly bad.  Even better, she didn't run out of the building screaming so that's a plus.  One of the reasons why I asked this particular sub to fill in for me is because I know she can be tough, but she also knows all the kids as she student taught for us last year.  She's fair and she's organized.  And she leaves wonderfully detailed notes about who was naughty and who was nice.

Seventh period, of course was hideous.  So hideous in fact that Mr. Math came over to tell me how hideous they were.  Sigh.  I knew that was going to be the case.  I did have to write up two other kids in other classes for their behavior, but that was almost to be expected.

Let's just say that seventh period wasn't very happy on Monday.

On another note, all the report cards went home along with a parent conference letter.  Our parent conferences are this Thursday and next Thursday.  Basically we ask parents to send the form back with the date, the times they'd prefer and the teachers they'd want to see.  Then we have to sit there and slot of the parents into our individual conference schedules.

This is a mess when you have a bunch of kids who have teachers who aren't on the same team - like a lot of the seventh graders who have an 8th grade teacher who's teaching a couple of sections of seventh. It's not been too horribly bad, however, because, sadly, we haven't received many conference requests.  I only have 11 parents signed up for tomorrow (most of them are parents I really don't need to see), and another 5 for next week.

But, on the up side, I did get a parent in here today for a meeting to meet with her, a principal, and her daughter to come up with an education plan since her daughter failed my class this nine weeks.  Mainly it's not turning in work and not studying.  We ironed out a plan out and, if they both do their end of the bargain, she should pass the rest of the year. Big if.  But hey, I'm trying.  And I think Mom may be on board as well.

And today?  Weirdly enough, the first night in weeks I don't have school work to do. Feels odd.

3 comments:

Jen said...

We've just moved to an online booking system at our school for Parent/Teacher interviews. OMG, you wouldn't believe the amount of time it saves and how less stressful it is!

Ps...I really enjoy reading your blog! Thanks for sharing!

Mrs. Gumby said...

Hey, Mrs. B! Go read Crazy Aunt Purl's blog. She sat next to R. Lee Ermy on a plane and she has picture of him trying to knit! Thought of the boys in your knitting club at school...bet they'd get a kick out of "Gunny" knitting! OOOO-rah!

http://www.crazyauntpurl.com/

Darren said...

I despise leaving my classes in the hands of a substitute. I've volunteered to go to a district powwow regarding math standards in a couple weeks, and a retired teacher who's a friend of mine agreed to take my classes. That at least makes leaving somewhat more palatable.